Sunday, September 26, 2010

Our DEAR Summer we bid you farewell...



We have been having the worst luck, lately!  On Thursday, September 23, 2010, Ron and I decided it was time our beloved first furry baby (aka Summer, our yellow lab) go to Heaven.  I didn't think it would be as difficult as it was to put her down.  I really do despise that saying, "put her down".  Its just an awful saying!  I prefer euthanized but it sounds as if you are stating what happened with no feelings for this creature who was a part of your life from the time she was a tiny puppy. 

It had been a rough night, the night before, with her panting and constantly getting up and lying back down.  She kept on moving b/c we believe, as did the vet, she was in constant pain and it was that night we decided that we needed to euthanize her :(  Panting can also be a sign of pain but then again it can be a sign of Laryngeal paralysis, maybe she had this?  She was 14 years old and lived a good life.  Within, the past year she had been living in the lap of luxury at my Dad's house b/c we have too many steps in our new house.  My Dad spoiled her giving her ice cream, biscotti, etc.! 

It was an emotional roller coaster that night.  I didn't handle it so well, and honestly I'm still quite upset by it, after all she was our first pet, even before we adopted the boys.  I can recall, one year we dressed her up as a pumpkin on Halloween and brought her to Ron's sister-YES we were those type of people-LOL!  As I've stated she was our first furry baby and our boys grew up with her, she let them eat her dog food with her, Lukey took care of her after her surgery...memories.  When we went to the vet we brought Ryan and Lukey with us.  This way they too could say there goodbyes.  Now, some may have an issue with how we handled this but we thought about it and we didn't want to lie to the boys about where Summer went-we want them to know that she was in pain and is now running and playing with Nanny in Heaven.

The boys were upset that night, it was probably b/c both Ron and I were extremely upset, but I will say that the next day Lukey was as happy as a little clam...go figure?!  But, Ryan was much more inquisitive with asking all types of questions, such as where Summer went to?  Or is Summer in pain anymore?  Or (my personal favorite) do you think Nanny will know who Summer is in Heaven?  SO profound!


Love & HUGS,
Jenny, Ron, Ryan, & Lukey :)

No comments: