Friday, July 18, 2008

He was an itsy-bitsy polka-dot baby...thats how the song goes, right?!?

Now that I have time to reflect on last weekends travels to Washington D.C. I thought I would add why we were extremely stressed...or at least I was! About two weeks ago Luke developed a fever, had it for a good five days, we thought it was an ear infection. Ryan was notorious for ear infections, we were one ear infection away from getting tubes. As it turned out it was not an ear infection, however his peds. told us to keep him on the antibiotic for the next five days, which we did. Then, Luke developed hives or some type of rash on the trunk of his body, two days after starting the antibiotics. I thought maybe it was due to him having a fever (which is extremely common with children)...called his peds. and was told to keep an eye on it. On Wednesday of last week it seemed to have disappeared, thought nothing of it. Then last Friday he woke up and had hives or those small bumps everywhere, from head to toe! Immediately, I brought him to his peds., who asked me "is he on Amoxicillin"? And YES this was a different peds. than the one who prescribed the antibiotics, same group just different peds. Dr. Anyway, my head snapped around and I said YES! The peds. told me Luke is allergic to Penicillin and he has a "classic" Penicillin rash. He also asked me if it had started on his trunk, to which I replied Yes. He said again, it's a "classic" Penicillin rash. I asked the peds. if it were okay to go away with Luke that weekend, if he was in any sort of danger and he said YES we were allowed to travel with him, and that the antibiotic just needs to get out of his system. Thank-Goodness it was only a rash and not something worse such as an obstructed airway, b/c this can happen too when you have an allergic reaction to Penicillin.
As we were driving to D.C. the Penicillin rash was getting worse, spots, spots, and more spots! He honestly looked like a polka-dot baby :( He wasn't uncomfortable just looked as if he was :/ I didn't think it was possible but Saturday morning he looked like one big spot and yes worse than the day/night before...I will say I was worried a bit. A friend who was there for the Azerbaijani reunion weekend as well, who we saw at breakfast and who also happens to be a pharmacist, told us yep it's a "classic" Penicillin rash. Then, we saw her again at the Cultural Center (later in the day) and she said Luke is looking much better from this morning. I thought so too but didn't want to jinx him :) Then on Sunday we woke up and the Penicillin rash was nearly gone.
At least we now know that he has an allergy to Penicillin and that he can not have it, b/c the next time it could be much worse of a reaction than this one. That to me is a scary thought!
If you look close enough at the photos I posted on Wednesday you can definitely tell Luke is a polka-dot baby...trust me you can see them :)

Love & HUGS,
Jenny, Ron, Ryan & Luke :)

No comments: