Monday, August 9, 2010

Carlo's Bakery...SO WORTH IT!!!





















We are finally home, Thank-Goodness :)  We must be getting really old or we really love our bed?!  More on our WONDERFULLY long weekend for Ryan's Azerbaijani Reunion in another post...This post is dedicated to CAKE BOSS :)  As I've said before, Ron and I are obsessed with Cake Boss, Ace of Cakes, etc..., therefore when we were in Jersey City, NJ which is right around the corner from Hoboken, NJ-what did we do???  We visited Carlo's Bakery, aka CAKE BOSS!!!  It was SO worth it!!!  Of course, this feeling of joy and excitement did not come without a price, does anything?!? 

We arrived at 11:00am on Friday morning and we waited in line for what seemed like forever :/  The line was across the street and already starting to wrap around the building, in one word "INCREDIBLE"!  I nearly jumped out of our moving van to get into the line and boy am I glad I did!  I waited, and waited, and did I mention I waited some more :)  Ron had the task of keeping the boys busy, and shockingly they did extremely well, which for an eight and three year old is not an easy feat.  But Ron did take them to the park and the water until I reached the corner and then we crossed the street as a family :)  Cheesy, I know-we are like that :)  We were Ohhhh SOOOO close but SOOOO far away :/  Ron was asking the security if it was always like this?  He told Ron YES!  Which I knew about b/c I went online to Carlo's Bake Shop's website and that's exactly what the website talked about, "expect to wait a minimum of two hours".  The website talked about how inefficient the bakery was itself and they could truly control the crowds if they want to but that they liked the crowds.  Not too sure about this as there were a boat load of people there.  I totally believe it has to do with the notoriety of the bakery.  There was a local or I should say a former local of the Hoboken area who told us that she was not fond of the bakery.  She told us that she can remember walking past the bakery as if it were nothing before the the TLC's tv show.  Now, its almost as if people can't get enough of it!  Also, I will say it was the people you met in line as you were standing there, almost like when you were in your late teens/early twenties and actually slept out for concert tickets...am I dating myself?!  LOL!  The funniest aspect of this trip to Hoboken was there were people who were yelling, "It's just a bakery", out of there cars as they were passing by. 

We waited in line for just about three hours....we were asked was it worth it?  I believe so :)  We arrived at the door of Carlo's Bake Shop at 2:00pm, when we went in it was a typical bakery but it was more too.  Words can't describe it...extremely awesome is all that comes to mind!  We did see Buddy's Mom, Mauro's son, and one of Buddy's sisters-that in and of itself was worth it and we get baked goods on top of that...made my day :)  I will stated that on TV it does look bigger, it was extremely tiny in there but then again there were A LOT of people in a tiny space :/

When we were done we left happily but also saddened that the fun was over, I can say it was like when you were a child and the build up to your birthday was just incredible but once the day got there and the party was over boy ohhh boy what a let down :(  But Ron suggested we go behind the bakery and I was so glad he had suggested that!  B/C they were putting a cake in one of there cars and we saw and got Danny's photo...the cake looked great too that they were loading into the car :)  Also, we saw Mauro, who told everyone to get off the door.  I thought that was funny and couldn't believe the audacity of some people.  We left soon after that and went back to the hotel in Jersey City and enjoyed our baked goods!  It was worth it!!!


Love & HUGS,
Jenny, Ron, Ryan, & Lukey :)

3 comments:

Dawn said...

Hi Jenny,
My family is also cake boss junkies and just visited the bakery too!
http://itsallaboutthejewelsandbows.blogspot.com/2010/08/our-mini-vacation.html

You got much better pictures though!
Dawn

Joy said...

I took my Mother there on the way home from her appointment at Sloan-Kettering last month but she was not up to waiting on line. I would have LOVED to but she had already had a long day.

Did you visit the Russian Monument in Jersey City? I am hoping to do this with Anna in the spring.
Joy

Emu Monkey said...

I love watching that show. So glad you got to experience that. How exciting!